Books I've been reading.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sorry it's been so long!

So, since apparently the post I attempted to write on Wednesday didn’t get posted, I shall write again!

Let’s give the quick and dirty of what’s been happening:
I’ve had my first marriage proposal.
I’ve gone to the public baths.
I’ve gotten montezumas curse on the morning that the water decided to stop running.
My dad woke me up at 6am to go running for 11k. That was new.
Learned to love oral rehydration salts.
Been to four weddings (it’s wedding season).
Become an accidental Muslim. (Let me explain, I was at a wedding and the women prostrated themselves to pray. One woman came up to me, grabbed my hand and started repeating sentences that contained waHd (one) Allah and mohammed. It quickly occurred to me that after I had repeated this three times that I had converted to Islam. Then once they saw I had understood everyone started laughing hysterically. hahah, the weird American girl is a Muslim, hahaha, look what she said! So then I told my teacher about the experience and she laughed and said, don't worry, you're not a Muslim unless you say it with intent.)
AND I have gone ONE WEEK without a bath. So today I begged my parents to let me have a bucket shower, and then once they realized that is all I wanted, they were very happy to comply. I now have clean hair! I felt like singing "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" the entire time. 
One more thing: My family also decided to get a modem at their house, so I downloaded Internet explorer 8 and Google Chrome onto their computer because they were using an old browser that would not support hotmail. Go geek power!

In other news:
So it’s been busy to say the least. I’m learning Darija and getting technical sessions from 8:30-6:00 from Monday through Saturday. I’m just super happy I have some time to make it to the cyber café.
I came home today and my mom is moaning in the corner. I’m pretty sure she’s sick, poor thing. Speaking of which, my parents are very VERY caring. They finally are letting me walk to and from school by myself. They were so worried that I would get lost for the first week and a half that I could not go anywhere by myself.  It has been interesting adapting to some of the social norms here. Not to say I can’t, I’m just…coping with all the major changes at the moment. But things are well, and i'm handling one disaster at a time moderately well so things are stable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment