Books I've been reading.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Where am I?

I am finally in Africa. A bunch of the PCTs (Peace Corps Trainees) went for a walk on the beach today and it was incredibly surreal. The mere fact that I was walking around in Africa, in Morocco no less seemed like a dream. I suppose I have come to terms with this and have moved on to accepting this surreal reality as something that exists.

Anyhow, while I was taking a shower this evening, I heard quite a hullabaloo downstairs. So I quickly clothed and went downstairs to check out the noise. The teachers who are going to teach our group Darija (Moroccan Arabic) and tamazight (a Berber dialect) had all gathered around a man playing the oud in the Salon. There were quite a few other PCTs who came down to listen to the music. I felt like I wanted to sing with their songs and understand what they were singing. So I asked to sit down next to one of the teachers and she explained to me quietly what the songs were about. Eventually she had me dancing a new dance and sort of humming and bobbing along with the rest of the musicians/vocalists/teachers. Everyone was drumming on the table, dancing, gesturing, and singing. How ridiculously blessed am I? Almost all the other PCTs are asleep now, but I felt that I needed to be around the music. After all, I can't speak Darija yet, but music is something I can understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment