Books I've been reading.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Stormy afternoons in the dog days of Ramadan.


Okay, I will admit that returning to America was probably bad for morale. You go home, you see all your friends and family, and then return to isolation. I'm probably making that sound too harsh, considering how lucky I am to be surrounded by so many nice neighbors and friends but I can't help but sincerely notice that I am alone. There's also the fact that I haven't been alone for two months. But maybe it's good to be alone; how else do you notice the condition you're in but when you're alone?

And maybe here's another signal that told me that I needed to do some self critique. I went to souk (outdoor vegetable and fruit market) today, bought my vegetables, then came back and slept for another two hours. It's not superbly hot outside. I've been noticing I've been sort of skipping my usual coping mechanisms of exercise and guitar playing. So it occurred to me that I need to talk to other volunteers in country. For the last couple of days, I've been holed up in my house, trying to ease back into the swing of things.  However, it's Ramadan and I don't think I've explained what that is or how that affects T-town. 

Ramadan is an Islamic religious holiday where Muslims abstain from both food and water during the day and then eat at sunset. To know more about the holiday, I shall point you here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/practices/ramadan_1.shtml

Therefore, during Ramadan, this means that T-town is affected economically and socially. Shops are open in the morning and close in the afternoon, only to reopen after lftor (the breakfast meal, held after call to prayer for sunset). Many people sleep during the day and then stroll around town after the breakfast meal. Many children run around the streets in the evening, playing games and socializing. It's a unique part of the year and I'm glad that I get to be in T-town for this experience. 

But why name this post stormy afternoons? It's quite literally storming here, even if it is the edge of the Sahara desert and 99 degrees Fahrenheit, it's raining away. The weather is making me nostalgic for my moody cafe days. Who knew that it rains during the summer here? 

I'm really looking forward to the Autumn months. It'll be nice to get back to work and let the order of a schedule pull me forward. And, thanks to the marvel of cell phones and internet, I'm not that isolated that I can't just call a friend. :) 

And just for kicks and giggles, here's a picture of me, other volunteers, and campers from summer camp!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your knowledge of Ramadan and how it is observed where you are. You are always teaching. Be with your quiet time, find your personal Qur'an' - recite poetry and sing. The gates of heaven are open, you know...SOMETHING is open and listening anyway when all the regular and predictable daily matters are suspended! There is a quiet hush all over the world; there is a disturbance in the force! A wrinkle in Time! A door to peek into! Glad you are writing, Aly.

    ReplyDelete