Books I've been reading.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Water is Life

Hey there,

So I know I've taken about a month and a half's worth of hiatus but before I start giving you the lowdown, but before that I'm going to give you some culture time!

As many of you know, T-town is a full on Berber (technically, the dialect Tashlhyt (Tash-l-heet)) town. I sort of forget, now that I'm hanging out with some friends in the North of Morocco that Berber culture is not as prevalent here. I realized that it was time to share with you and everybody else the daily blend of culture I experience. I can't even begin to give you the details on Arab and Berber culture, but click here to get an idea of Berber history and culture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berber_people

Now that that's covered, I want to show you that the rabbit hole goes deeper. Some friends of mine recently introduced me to a band called Tinariwen. This band is Tuareg (meaning, that they come from the interior of the Sahara desert). Also, to learn more about Tuareg people, click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuareg_people
I love this band's sound, and it is somewhat similar to the music that's played all the time in T-town. Therefore, I want to share this documentary I watched with you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOu4fdlPiWI
And in case that that link doesn't work, youtube: Tinariwen, Aman Iman

Also, just for your information, 'Aman Iman' means 'water is life' in their Tashlhyt dialect. Curiously, I found out that you can buy Tinariwen's cd at Target (wow, the world is small/ recording companies leave no stone un-turned). And haha, yes, that is a shameless plug. Enjoy! BssHa! (To your health!)

Also, special thanks to Rachel Rubinski for this photo! :)




1 comment:

  1. What a delight to hear from you and to discover this wonderful music! The doc is fabulous and I do believe I have found my featured artist on my blog for September! Tinariwen! I'm so glad I poked you with a stick and look what you delivered to me!?! BssHa your bad self! Love you Aly!

    ReplyDelete