Books I've been reading.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

And it's been six months in country now....

Hey there!

So here's an update of what's been happening. I and a friend of mine put on a breast cancer event in my town, which went over fairly well. I definitely had some communication issues but that's sort of to be expected. I've only been speaking Arabic for 6 months now. There is no way I could have done the event without the help of my students. They were the real masterminds and made it all happened. I just happened to be coordinating and I'm so thankful they were willing to work with me.

As a side note, I have a bunch of photos of my students and my current workplace for those of you who want them and Inchallah, I'll be putting those up soon!

My boss came this last week. He asked me to start trying to do more in the community and I'm happy to use my networking skills to my advantage! I felt happy that he came down to visit me in my little T-Town (this is my new name for my site, since I'd rather not reveal it's location in such a public space).

Alright, so my mom thought I should post this story, and it probably is sort of precious. The other day I was demonstrating yoga moves at my nedi neswi. I, of course, wasn't thinking and was wearing jeans. So I was switching legs while in a lunge and then hark! A sound was heard! Nope, not flatulence (I sort of wish it was in this case) but my pants ripped. It's a good thing I don't have any dignity left. So I quietly excused myself (God bless those women for not mocking me to death) and tied my jacket around my waist and walked home. Good bye jeans! Glad I bought you at a Moroccan thrift store. 

Speaking of yoga, I attempted to have my first yoga class in T-town. Sadly no one came except the girl I asked to help me in translating. Ah well, I'm going to try again this week and we'll see how it goes. I'm not too terribly worried about it. 

The really fantastic thing about today was that I found this awesome girl about my age who wants to tutor me in Arabic and Tashlhyt! Hamdullilah! I'm stoked that I have a new friend. :)

Aaaand just for you, here are some pictures of my birthday last month courtesy of one Hannah Beswick! Thanks Hannah!



Basically all of us ate this cake until it was in the shape of Africa. Waka Waka Africa!

2 comments:

  1. So Great to see your smiling face. Funny about the jeans! Good luck with the yoga classes, you sweet pioneer, you!

    ReplyDelete