Books I've been reading.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Alexander and the Terrible-No-Good-Very-Bad-Day


I think I may have figured out something. I don’t think I have such a major problem on basic communication skills. I think my problem may be with regular conversation skills. I literally encounter at least 7 non sequiturs in any one day.  I’ve realized it’s not as much the words that people are saying; I just can’t follow the logic of the conversation. For example:

Person:  Ah, Alyah, you’ve been gone for a while. You disappeared! (I get this about everyday, “I disappeared,” and I always think, ‘no I didn’t, I always know where I am.’)

Aly: Yes, I took a test near Fes, like I told you I was going to two weeks ago.

Person:  Did you do well?

Aly: Yes! I did just fine thanks. 

Person: So your mother’s name is Audrey?

Aly: What? Did you just say the word ‘Audrey?’ Wait, what does this have to do with what we were talking about?

Then I usually proceed to look flustered and go glossy-eyed because all of the sudden I realize I feel like I'm making mouth sounds and we have come to the impasse of: nous ne comprenons pas les uns les autres (we don't understand each other).

Here’s another linguistic anomaly I’ve noticed. People repeat things about 4 times in a conversation with me. Honestly I can’t blame them. I can barely speak their language so my conversation partner generally tries to make sure I understand what’s happening. On the other hand, people repeat things to me about 4 times even when they understand I’m not confused. For example:

Aly: I’m leaving for a week to go take a test and get technical training.

Person: Oh, alright. Will you take a bus to get there?

Aly: Yes, I’ll take a bus and return the Sunday after this.

Person: Great, so you’re taking a bus, right?

Aly: Yes, I’m taking a bus.

Person: You’ll be gone for the whole week?

Aly: Yes.

It’s definitely been one of those tear-your-hair-out sort of days. Do you remember the book, Alexander and the Terrible-No-Good-Very-Bad-Day? Well, if you don’t, it pretty much helped make sense of why the world was a not comforting place some days as a young child. In fact, it’s probably one of the big reasons why I want to go to Australia. Alright, I admit that does seem like a non sequitur, but trust me, read the book and you’ll get it.

For tomorrow, I’m going to do some yoga and then I’ll be all hearts, stars and rainbows until I realize I have to go figure out how to wrangle a classroom of 15 super stoked teenagers.

Yella! (Let’s go in Moroccan Arabic)

1 comment:

  1. *from Malina
    nice writing Aly! I have a similar situation over here in Korea as well. I am getting used to it slowly. I find it lucky to meet Koreans who communicate in English even if its just very simple stuff.
    The semantic meaning is so different between 'Englishes' and languages that it gets "lost in translation".
    I would love to have Korean language training but they cut the program in my city believe it or not. I also would like to go to Oz! :)

    ReplyDelete