Books I've been reading.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

An Average Day

I realize many of you have been asking what do I do on a normal day. Here's more or less a normal day for me:


A typical day looks like me laying in the fetal position. Haha, just kidding...sort of.

Thank God I'm actually home before 8pm! I might learn how to cook eggplant tonight. I never knew how much my palate was going to expand when I came to Morocco. Moroccans can cook man!

Anyhow, a normal day looks like this:

Wake up at 8:30 (no matter how late I stay up I always wake up at 8:30!!)

Check email and the New York Times website. If there's an interesting article I peruse it. 

Eat yogurt.
 
Do yoga.

Contemplate doing laundry in the bathtub/cleaning my room/writing letters and then generally default to writing lessons for my classes I'm going to teach at night. 

At around 10/11 I generally take my morning 20/30 minute walk to the post office, talk to the post office guys, talk to anyone else who is friendly and ignore cat calls. 

Upon returning home, I look up new games to play with my kids. Then I usually start thinking about lunch about this time and proceed to make, eat, and clean up. Unless it's Friday. If it's Friday, then the entire country (and I don't kid about this) goes to their houses to eat cous cous with their families. I go to my host family's and eat their cous cous or try to make myself scarce because thinking about eating cous cous isn't too appetizing right now. 

Anyhow, after lunch, I either get sort of tired and default to taking a nap or putter around my house until I realize I've just done nothing for two hours and then by this time it's around 3 o clock and I feel like I need to be productive. So I go to a cafe and study language or work on lesson planning or something to that effect.

When 4 rolls around, I wander off to my classroom (which is in a building where women go to get educated). I wait for a half an hour (even though my class technically starts at 4) for students to show up and I awkwardly entertain until I have more than 3 students to actually teach something. 

At 5:30 my older students (or more advanced English speaking boys) show up. I usually start with a game of some sort and then maybe do a scotch of legitimate English teaching and then resort to more games. After the last game, I kick all the younger students out and then I work with my older kids who have written essays. We usually correct and discuss them for a half an hour and then my students walk me home. 

When I finally get home at around 8pm, I'm usually starving so I throw my stuff down and head to the kitchen to make dinner. After I'm done it's usually 10pm and by then I'm under the covers watching a tv show or reading a book. I'm generally out by 12. 

That's a pretty typical day! All in a day's work. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! It's good you have those kids to talk to by the end of your day! Good for the kids too - they are lucky! Do you talk with the bunny when you are at home? ;->

    ReplyDelete