Books I've been reading.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Years, with a little help from my friends.

So two hundred people just heard me sing the Beatles' song, "Help." Poor people. The reason I was singing is because the town I live in threw a huge party. To start out with the kids asked me to come to the Dar Shebab by at least 4. When I got there, the room was filled with people and the most amazing spread of cakes, cookies and asundry other sweets. I was placed with a bunch of teenage girls who I know and like and then we played a quiz game for the next hour and a half. Somehow, someone took pity on the poor English speaking girl and happily the English teachers were sat at my table. They then helped translate the questions asked by the MC so that I could pretend to donate an answer to the table.

After a while, the MC asked all the tables to send one person to sing a song or tell a joke in front of the crowd. Of course, funny American girl is picked and sent off. After racking my brains for a few minutes, BINGO! I would sing "Help," (because isn't that just what I needed then?) by the Beatles. So, I closed my eyes and blared away for a few seconds and hamdullah, I made it through. And afterwards, somehow my hand was grabbed and then I was dancing in the middle of the room. Ah, the terribly awkward dancing! (I am such a self conscious dancer!) But overall, I'm really happy I went to the party, it was definitely a cause for fun and I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard or smiled for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment