Books I've been reading.

Friday, February 4, 2011

The good, the not-so-good, and the terrifying.

Hey all,

So, the good news! I got my computer back as you may have noticed.

The not so good: I lost a lot of information but I will slowly and surely put my lifeline back together again. My computer also took a little vacation without telling me. This is to say that, I had a miscommunication with the guy who fixed it (not his fault, he was after all speaking a language he knows well, and I was doing the opposite of that) happily though, everything turned out ok. I'm so glad to have it back!

The Terrifying: Sorry I've not posted recently. About that. I've been trying to put together a community assessment on my town, which is more or less coming together. The real problem is is just trying to make myself sit down and type it all out. I was reflecting today why I haven't just punched it out yet. Why can't this be like college, where I just spend endless hours on it? Oh yeah, because this isn't college and I am putting together a somewhat coherent and professional piece of work, which in itself is sort of a terrifying thought. Aside from that, I am also signing on to actually speak in front of the community I serve.

"What? No, you're joking," you must think. Au contraire, mes amis! Somehow, I am going to make a sincere effort and give a 15 minute speech in Arabic (more or less....) Hopefully, I'll just say it, and get it out of the way and then we'll have some sort of discussion after that about how I can better serve the community or about the needs I didn't address, etc. My Arabic is shwia (not so fantastic-but what do you expect? I've only been speaking this language for 5 months) but I'm going to give it the good old college try! Can't ding me for effort! We'll see how that goes. For now, I turn 23 tomorrow! First birthday I've ever had in a foreign country and I'm rather looking forward to it. 

2 comments:

  1. Aly! I just got the liberal studies newsletter from Western in the mail and it had a little blurb on you and your time in the Peace Corps. I immediately read your entire blog and feel happily up to date. It sounds like you are enjoying your time in Morocco and taking any challenge you encounter bravely and with a sense of humor :) You go, girlfriend. I miss our times in seminar together. I miss YOU. I look forward to reading what happens next...!

    Molly McNeilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molllllyyyyy! I miss you hardcore! When are you coming out to visit! I DONT HAVE YOUR EMAIL!! Please email me at alywilliams5@gmail.com!! I want to talk to you so bad! Man. Anyhow, i'm missing you and seminar and everything but i'm also happy about everything here too :)

    ReplyDelete