Books I've been reading.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

I lost my keys, oh wait, I didn’t, oh but they don't work in the door.

What a day.
My host mom asked me if I wanted to walk to one of the satellite towns. Of course I want to go! So off we went! On the way, there was a house with all of the stuff left by the PCV who I replaced. I wanted to stop by and check on the stuff he left me. So I opened the envelope he had left me that had two keys in it. I thought I dropped something but then thought nothing of it. I get to the door, open it, go to another locked door and realize I have only one key. I DID drop something! Egads! So I go searching out in this field for the key. Soon, I was aided by my PCV’s former neighbors, who were combing the ground. Thankfully, my thoughtful host mom asked me to look through the bags I was carrying. Lo and behold! It was in my bag!

So everything was hunky dory after that. I even found a Christmas tree! Total bonus! Thank you former PCV!!! Upon walking out, I got my key out to lock the door, and it wouldn’t lock. At all. My host mom was telling me, I was going to have to spend the night here in the satellite town until I could figure out the lock. I was bound and determined to make this door work! Work evil door, work! So the neighbor comes over to try to get the door to bend to my will. Then another neighbor joins, then another, until there’s at least 5 women standing around this door, trying to make the lock work. Finally, after a half an hour, the door’s lock budged and I was able to shut the door. (Such a group effort for such a simple task!)

Happily after that, we did make it to our final destination, which is a town very close to a castle (called a qasbah)! I will post a little video I took of the land around the castle soon on my facebook page.
After a quick visit to Qasbah town, I was off to my Dar Shebab to teach my students “Jingle Bells!” Happy Christmas everybody!

Look! The Christmas tree that could!




No comments:

Post a Comment